At Alima’s Roti and Pastry, we are honoured to serve a delightful mix of authentic flavours from the Caribbean, and a few non-Caribbean items that pair wonderfully with our signature flatbreads. For food enthusiasts, Alima’s offers a variety of dishes that can make your taste buds dance. Today, let’s explore the six best-selling vegetarian curries that have won the hearts of many:
- Shahi Paneer: Shahi means ‘royal’ in Hindi, and this dish truly lives up to its name. Soft, cottage cheese cubes, immersed in a creamy, tomato-based gravy seasoned with aromatic spices. This North Indian delicacy is a regal treat for the senses.
- Baigan (Eggplant) Choka: Transport yourself to the coasts of Trinidad with this delectable dish. Smoky grilled eggplant mashed, and seasoned to perfection with garlic, hot pepper, and a touch of oil. It’s a perfect blend of smokiness, spice, and savoury goodness.
- Curried Mango: A delightful surprise for those unfamiliar with the world of savoury fruit curries. This Trinidadian staple is made with green mangoes simmered in a tangy and spicy curry sauce which includes chandon beni, resulting in a dish that dances between sweet, spicy, and utterly tantalizing.
- Seim Curry: Seim, or “hyacinth bean” in some parts, is a unique vegetable with a crunchy texture. Curried Guyanese-style by sautéeing the beans with tomatoes, garlic, onions, spices, and hot peppers and leaving it to simmer in coconut milk until tender. When finished it becomes a beautiful amalgamation of flavours, perfectly balanced.
- Veggie Delight: Not your average veggie curry! Textured soya chunks, seasoned, and curried, with the added goodness of peas and carrots. It’s a protein-packed treat that offers a mouthful of deliciousness in every bite.
- Curried Katahar/ Catahar /Chataign: A tropical treat, this dish highlights Katahar. This versatile fruit is simmered with coconut milk, enhancing its natural flavours and imparting a creamy, dreamy texture to the curry. Known as “Katahar” in Guyana, “Chataigne” in Trinidad, and “breadnut” elsewhere, this dish is a must-try for those wanting to explore tropical flavours.
For those keen to enjoy these vegetarian delights, we have fantastic news: all of these dishes are available frozen as part of our convenient Eat-Easy line! Whether you’re eager to savour them at home, or looking to surprise a food aficionado, they are the perfect choice. Visit us in-store at 13 Kenview Blvd in Brampton; or use our scheduled home delivery service and have these flavourful curries delivered right to your doorstep, simplifying your dinner plans. Relish the fusion of tradition, innovation, and genuine culinary artistry, exclusively at Alima’s!